Saturday, May 16, 2009

Group Therapy

Friends are important. Some of my best friends I have met through group therapy. Now many of you know that in a lot of group therapy rooms you can't date fellow member so no I have never done that. However, when I say something really moving to people in group and the tears flow it's nice to have a hug from a special friend.
When I was first diagnosed with my mental illness, I thought OMG I am not doing this group therapy thing! There was no way this rebellious, social anxiety disorder gal is going to sit and share with strangers. Well, mostly what I did for the next three years was sleep. I did have connections with the outside world, but nothing like what I would find in the rooms. You can say I isolated.
Then when I was twenty - four and had no where else to turn, I decided to be admitted into a day treatment facility for mental ill in my county. You would never believe that I was going to do three hours of group therapy, three days a week! All while I was still finishing my last two years of college. I went to a non - traditional college so I didn't have to go to class. I did my work at home so it fit. I mean I could try to get more skills to fight the voices and I could finish my education. It was scary at first going into a room with strangers. I left two years later with more friends than I could ever imagine. It's one thing to talk to a therapist. It's a completely different thing to pour out to your peers. My fellow groupers saw me as inspiration with going to school and responding so well to the therapy I was receiving
I like group therapy so much that even though I am discharged from the day treatment facility and only see a therapist every three weeks for individual therapy that I attend two group therapy session twice a week. I go to a modify DBT course and an anxiety group. Again there is nothing like support from other mentally ill people. My therapist wants me to also make friends in the "real world" and admit that's scary, but I have and I couldn't have done it without my group therapy friends.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogging community Amanda. I'm glad you got along so well in group therapy .. I found it easier in my Positive Living group than I did in CBT. I find social situations very difficult. It's nice that you were able to develop good friendships.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for welcoming me! I am so excited with more and more people following my blog. I know how hard it is to be in social situations. Before I was diganosed I hated being around people. It wasn't until it was my only option (when I started hearing the voices) that I was able to work through it. What is your Positive Living group about? I like to learn more about different therapies. In another comment to me you said that I will find people who are supportive here and that's good to know. That's kind of the way it is with group therapy for me. In fact I just went to group therapy today and got a hug from one of my friends. It feels good. So if your saying that the blogging community is like that, I feel I am in for a real treat!
    Thanks,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete